In the thrilling world of snowboarding, the apparel you choose goes beyond aesthetics and style. Functional snowboard apparel must not only stand up to the elements but also offer comfort, safety, and durability. But there’s another, equally important aspect that has taken center stage in recent years: sustainability. At Capelin Crew, we’re passionate about sustainability as much as we are about snowboarding. We recognize that the choices we make today affect the slopes we’ll be shredding tomorrow.
What is Sustainable Snowboard Apparel?
Sustainability is the process of maintaining change in a balanced environment, ensuring the longevity of natural resources. In terms of snowboard apparel, it means the clothes you wear on the mountain are produced and disposed of in a way that minimizes environmental impact. From resourceful water management and reduced energy consumption in production, to the use of organic and recycled materials, there are many ways to create more sustainable clothing.
The Case for Sustainable Materials
As the climate crisis escalates, the outdoor industry has a critical role to play in leading sustainable practices. As lovers of winter sports, we have a vested interest in preserving our snowy playgrounds for generations to come. Making eco-conscious decisions, including in our choice of apparel, can contribute to that goal.
Sustainable materials significantly reduce the environmental footprint of snowboard apparel in several ways:
1. Reduced Resource Consumption: Sustainable materials often require less water, energy, and land to produce than their traditional counterparts.
2. Decreased Pollution: They help mitigate harmful emissions and reduce waste, by incorporating recycled materials and leveraging cleaner production methods.
3. Extended Lifespan: High-quality, durable sustainable materials can extend the lifespan of snowboarding apparel, encouraging a culture of 'buy less, use more.'
Functional Snowboard Apparel and Sustainable Materials
At Capelin Crew, we believe that functional snowboard apparel doesn’t have to come at the expense of the environment. Sustainability and functionality are two sides of the same coin.
1. Organic Cotton: Organic cotton offers excellent breathability and comfort. It’s grown without harmful pesticides or synthetic fertilizers, meaning it’s kinder to the environment and the workers who produce it. Organic cotton can be used for base layers, mid-layers, and casual wear.
2. Recycled Polyester: Recycled polyester is made from post-consumer plastic waste, like PET bottles. It reduces landfill waste, lessens the use of crude oil for production, and lowers harmful emissions. It's durable, lightweight, and quick-drying, making it an ideal material for jackets and snow pants.
3. Merino Wool: Merino wool, sourced responsibly, is renewable, biodegradable, and a fantastic natural insulator. It’s soft, breathable, moisture-wicking, and even naturally odor-resistant, which makes it perfect for base layers and mid-layers.
4. Hemp: This crop grows quickly without needing much water or any chemical assistance, and its fabric properties are impressive. It's resistant to UV light and mold, making it great for outerwear.
5. Tencel (Lyocell): Tencel is made from the pulp of sustainably harvested trees. It is biodegradable and uses a closed-loop process that recovers or decomposes all solvents and emissions. It offers moisture management and can be used in base layers, mid-layers, and lifestyle apparel.
6. Cocona (37.5 Technology): This is a natural performance fabric technology made from active particles derived from coconut shells and volcanic sand. It aids moisture evaporation and provides UV protection. It can be found in outerwear and insulating layers.
At Capelin Crew, we are proud to be part of the shift towards more sustainable snowboard apparel. We’re passionate about offering products that are not only functional and stylish, but also make a positive impact on our environment. By opting for sustainable materials, we believe we're doing our part to protect the snow-covered landscapes we love so much. It's a journey, and we're committed to learning and innovating every step of the way.
Through this post, we hope to inspire our community of snowboard enthusiasts to make conscious choices and consider the role they too can play in preserving our winter wonderlands. Let's ride into a more sustainable future together.
We encourage you to explore our range of sustainable and functional snowboard apparel at Capelin Crew's online store, where innovation meets eco-consciousness. Welcome to the future of snowboarding. It looks pretty good from here.